Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks
When it comes to watching what I eat, I can turn down just about anything, other than freshly baked bread. There is nothing like bread right from the oven! Does that sound like you? Well if you are looking for a new recipe to try you have to check out this cheesy garlic breadsticks recipe!
Below you will find my recipe for homemade cheesy garlic breadsticks that are to die for!! They go great with just about every meal. From soups, salad, spaghetti, or lasagna. Or just have them on by them-self dipped in marinara sauce!
The prep time for this recipe says 1 hour and 30 minutes, but about 1 hour of it is waiting for the bread to rise.
When you bake your breadsticks you can either place them on parchment paper, grease the pan really well or use the nonstick baking mats.
If you liked this recipe, here are a few others to check out.
- Spiced Pear Bread Recipe – Great Fall Recipe
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash With Meat Sauce
- Pumpkin Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- Cauliflower Chowder Recipe
- Grandma’s Raisin Cake Recipe
- 1½ cup warm water, divided
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3¼ cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ¼ cup powdered milk
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3-4 cloves garlic put through a garlic press or very finely minced
- ½ cup butter
- 4 tablespoons dry parmesan cheese (or a dry parmesan-asiago-romano mixture)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional, for more crunch: ½ cup panko (Japanese style bread crumbs)
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast and ½ cup of warm water. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes to dissolve.
- In a large bowl combine the yeast mixture, vegetable oil, sugar, powdered milk, remaining 1 cup of warm water, and 1 cup of flour. Beat for 1 minute on medium speed.
- Switch to a dough hook and add the remaining flour. Knead by machine for 5 minutes, or by hand for 7 minutes. Add ½ cup of the shredded cheddar cheese at the end and knead until incorporated. If the dough is sticky, add a little more flour.
- Place dough in a buttered bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a towel and let the dough rise for about an hour, or until doubled.
- Once the dough is rising, melt the butter and stir in the prepared garlic. Cover and set aside to let the flavors combine.
- On a cutting board, chop the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese into small pieces. Place in a small bowl, along with the sesame seeds, parmesan cheese, and salt. Add panko bread crumbs, if using. Combine ingredients well. Pour onto a dinner plate.
- Cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment, or generously sprinkle with cornmeal.
- When the dough has doubled, punch it down and divide it in half. Cut each half into 16 pieces.
- Pour the garlic butter on a dinner plate (reheating it if necessary to make it liquid).
- Using both hands, roll each piece of dough into a thin rope about 10 inches long.
- Roll quickly in melted garlic butter and then roll in the sesame seed and cheese mixture.
- Place on prepared baking sheets, fairly close but not touching. Cover and allow to rest while oven preheats.
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Bake one sheet at a time for approximately 16 minutes, or until golden brown. For a crispier breadstick, let them bake for an additional 2 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.