Baked Egg Recipe with Fresh Herbs & Bacon
Do you ever get sick of having the same thing for breakfast? I know I sure do! I am someone who has chickens and collect our own eggs. So I am always looking for different ways to cook and use my eggs. I think you will enjoy this baked egg recipe with fresh herbs & bacon! It is easy to make and so good!
Another great thing about this baked egg recipe is it is great for watching carbs. When I’m watching my carbohydrate intake, I like to eat this meal for breakfast because it has so much flavor and texture that I never miss the toast. That being said, you could toast up some ciabatta to have with it if you like.
Not a bacon person? Some variations on the baked egg recipe would be turkey sausage instead of bacon, additional veggies (like mushrooms, peppers or onions) or a different greens (like kale or Swiss chard).
Another thing I love about this meal is that you can easily double or triple it. Just use a larger pan and cook it a few minutes longer.
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 thick strip of cooked bacon
- 1 - 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 - 2 sprigs of Italian parsley
- 1 long chive or green onion, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400° F
- Lay the spinach leaves in a small, oven-safe dish that you've sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. I used a mini cast iron skillet, which is 6 inches wide.
- Crumble half of the bacon and half of the Parmesan cheese over the spinach leaves.
- Carefully crack each egg into a small dish and then pour over the spinach leaves. I use the spinach leaves to make a barrier in the middle, so the eggs will stay put on each side.
- Sprinkle the eggs with a little salt and pepper.
- Tear a few leaves of parsley over the eggs and then sprinkle with the remaining bacon and cheese.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the whites are set and the yolks are done to your liking.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle with chopped chives, a few more torn pieces of parsley and a little more cheese, if desired.
- I strongly suggest using a good quality bacon. It has more flavor and texture. So much so that you really only need one piece in this.